Home

2014年1月4日星期六

Rhombodera Stalli's molting and branch for hanging

Happy new year to all !
Today on of my rhombodera stalli L3 nymph molted into L4. some people said that I have a magic branch for all my mantis' to shed their skin. Well that is true because I do use a single branch for my mantis to hang up and observe them.
 
Some breeders may want to use too many branches or screen wires to ensure the success of molting. again this is not mandatory. Yes a very rough surface can make mantis easier stick on it, however, sometime mantis only use the tiny hook(claws) on their legs to grab the surface and that may not stable enough during the molting. That's why some breeders respond that though they had provided a perfect substrate yet the mantis still dropped down during molting.
 
When the mantis molt on the "magic branch" (let me call it this lol), in order to crab it tightly, they will use the whole tarsus to crab the slender branch. It forms a big hook shape thus it is way more stable than the claws.





















没有评论:

发表评论